About Caversham Court
Caversham Court is situated on the North bank of the Thames by Caversham Bridge in Reading.
After the dissolution of the monasteries, the land which was formerly occupied by a small monastic cell was given to Christ Church College Oxford and was leased to influential families in the Reading area. The gardens were laid out by Thomas Loveday between 1660 and 1681. Notable is the two storey gazebo built in 1663 by the river and is one of the oldest surviving examples.
The Lovedays lived at Caversham Court until the end of the eighteenth century. The building was later expanded by the Simonds family but no longer remains. The gardens were acquired by Reading Council in 1933 but deteriorated over the years until they were restored with help of a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and were re-opened in 2009.